Monday, September 13, 2010

What did you do this weekend?!


Bringing back an ol' feature of the blog.
What did you do this weekend?

Me?
I've read a lot of stuff...
Mostly some Green Lantern titles (as a matter of fact, I wanted to put up a new GL comics review.. not sure if it will be older GL comics or the Blackest Night event..)
I've also been playing a lot again lately...
As a matter of fact, I should have the Splatterhouse 3 review around, as soon as I finish it.
It's a darn' difficult game! But you'll hear more on that soon~



Other than that?
I've been playing mostly some "next gen" games lately.
Since I finally played through Double Agent lately, I'm now through Splinter Cell Conviction.
I really like the gameplay, the feel, the look...it's a great step ahead for the SC franchise. It's a great game...up until the point I'm in currently....
Playing through a "flashback" sequence... where Sam is a soldier in a war.. and... How to put it...?...
I buy and play Splinter Cell games because I don't buy and play war shooters like Modern Warfare... Putting this flashback sequences PLAYABLE isn't helping me like this game..
Plus the more parkour-styled gameplay of Splinter Cell Conviction makes this moment plays a bit ackward... oh well, at least it isn't supposed to be that long anymore (the sequence)...


I've also tried to get back to Resident Evil 5.
Since I covered all past episodes, I guess RE5 is next!
(I'll probably do the Remake and some other things after five)
I almost forgot everything about RE5..it's hard to jump back in it...


I do not just play modern games...
I also like to go back to some classics every now and then. I always find them more pleasing and fun for late gameplays or on weekends!
I've played me some neat Megadrive action this weekend.
Looney tunes games (Yay!!), Bubsy 1 & 2 (ugh...), etc...
I like to go back to 8 bits or 16 bits games. It's a great fresh breath in these days of ultra-realistic-serious-grimm n gritty games.




But worry not Spider-friends *said in my Stan Lee voice imitation*
I did not just play those games above.
I've just bought Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions (or as we call it in Europe, from the looks of the Pal box, "Spider-Man Dimensions" - pictured below)
And WOOW! It's quite nice!
Very nice game! Specially after Web of Shadows (talked about in a previous "WDYDTW" blog post), which wasn't that bad but not very good either.
This game looks beautiful! And is fun!
And finally, a level based Spider-man game!! Wow! I mean, sure an Open World is fun...for a little while...
But seriously... Be it the movie games or WoS... You can easily enjoy them every once and a while...turning on the game...zipping through NYC... but during a playthrough, when you only reach the middle point of the game..it gets boring quickly!
Beating down repetitive bad guys, helping kids, finding a couple of missions here or there...
Plus you always end up having to backtrack, go from one point to another, and back, and again, back again, etc... RzzzzzZzz....
Open world/sandbox type of games get repetitive quick..and boring..and once you've seen the "(game)world", you've seen it all, be it under symbiotic attack or under robots rampages...
This Spider-man SD isn't the ultimate perfect Spidey game either... But it's the most fun Spidey-experience I had since the first 3D Spider-man game (on Dreamcast/N64/PS1).
Stan Lee's back narrating, the plot's fun, the writting better than WoS (or as I like to call it "Emo-symbiote-Spider-man, the videogame) and the voice acting pretty darn' good!

 NTSC and PAL Boxart next to each other
(though the UK still get the "Shattered" part of the title)

Oh and Miguel O'Hara has a very strange old-ysh voice (because of its classic Spider-man voice actore), which may sounds off at first, but really grew on me after a while, hearing him make jokes and all~